Sunday, June 28, 2009

Writing TIps: Action Hero not Reaction Hero

About 34 pages into my Dollhouse spec I realized something dreadful - my lead, Echo, wasn't actively pushing the plot forward - instead, she was just reacting to whatever I threw at her.

And while some of it was pretty cool, it was boring as hell. and read that way.

SO I scrapped it.

Salvaged what I could.

And started over.

The results?

1. A much stronger outline that clearly charts a motivated protagonist throughout every scene.

2. A more entertaining story.

3. And a complete lack of scripted pages.

4. A pretty fair assurance that there is absolutely no frikkin' way in hell I'll be able to submit it as my entry for this year's Disney/ABC Fellowship.

D'oh.

What I now know - and should have already known: Always make sure your protagonist is active. Forget the challenges you want to throw at him and her - that's the easy part - and spend more time thinking about what the hero is actually going to DO.

No comments: