As you look at the progress bar you may think to yourself, "Wow. This guy is never going to get this thing done. He's still outlining. He needs to stop procrastinating and get to work on that script!". And you wouldn't be wrong. Truth to tell - I need to get this thing done. Days are ticking away like seconds on a clock.
But I can't.
It's not ready.
It's not perfect.
And, yes, I know it never will be but I have to get as close as I can. A spec has to not only be a showcase for my own distinct "voice" as a writer but it has to read like a leaked version of a series best unshot episode ever.
Pretty harsh when you consider that all the episodes of the series are usually broken with 12 staff writers who work together to produce the plot and break the beats for a teleplay. How do we compete with that?
Simple. We try. Even if perfection isn't obtainable, we've got to strive for near perfection. We have to give them a reason to say, "We've got to get this guy here. Now!" because let's face it: there are a ton of guys (and gals!) who are vying for the exact same job. Some of which who already have produced credits. We're not just competing with other upstarts but old pros who are also starving for their next gig.
"Good enough" is anything but.
And yeah, I'm driving myself crazy with this.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment